State Health Improvement Plan (SHIP)
State Health Improvement Plan (SHIP) 2023-2028
The State Health Improvement Plan (SHIP) is a multi-year strategic plan developed in collaboration with a diverse public partnership of stakeholders across the commonwealth. It is a data driven comprehensive process and is a primary and expert resource for establishing and maintaining public health programs and policies.
The SHIP identifies Pennsylvania health priorities and includes goals, objectives, and strategies for improving the priorities identified. For each priority area, a work group with goal and strategy teams meets to implement the strategies and reassess, as necessary, to improve the health of Pennsylvanians.
Focus Area 1: Health Equity
Focus: Improve health equity by addressing social determinants of health
- Increase financial well-being, food security, and safe affordable housing
- Increase community safety by reducing the number of violent incidences that occur due to racism, discrimination, or domestic disputes
- Improve environmental health, focusing on environmental justice communities
Focus Area 2: Chronic Disease Prevention
Focus: Reduce chronic disease risk factors and societal impact
- Increase the population at a healthy weight through increasing availability and accessibility of physical activity and affordable nutritious food
- Reduce the impact of tobacco and nicotine use
Focus Area 3: Whole Person Care
Focus: Increase access to culturally humble whole person care through the lifespan
- Increase access to medical and oral health care
- Improve mental health and substance use outcomes through improved mental health services, trauma informed trainings, and substance use interventions
- Improve health outcomes through improved chronic diseases management
- Improve maternal and infant health outcomes by improving prenatal, perinatal, and postnatal care
To become involved as an implementation team member, contact the SHIP team at RAemail@example.com.