Special Kids Network
The Special Kids Network (SKN), in partnership with the Pennsylvania Elks Home Service Program, helps children and youth with special health care needs and disabilities get the services and support they require in order to thrive in their community and develop to their full potential. We accomplish this by:
- providing information on health care services and other resources by calling the SKN, toll-free helpline (1-800-986-4550);
- offering service coordination to families through a partnership with the Pennsylvania Elks Home Service Program where an Elks Home Service staff person will work with families in their homes to connect them to needed services and resources; and,
- supporting eight regional coordinators, who are all parents of children with special health care needs and disabilities, to work in communities to identify service gaps and address the unique challenges of service systems.
The Special Kids Network contains three components:
Special Kids Helpline
- is a toll-free 1-800-986-4550;
- is available Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4 pm;*
- is answered by trained, knowledgeable staff;
- connects families to resources; and,
- refers families for individual and family-centered service coordination if needed.
*Please leave a message if you are unable to call during hours of operation. Your call will be responded to on the next business day.
Parent Youth Professional Forums
The Special Kids Network facilitates Parent Youth Professional Forums (PYPFs) twice a year in each of the eight regions. These PYPF's provide support, gather input from families, youth, and other stakeholders; and improve services for children and youth with disabilities and special health care needs.