- Have a responsible adult watch young children playing in or around water (in addition to lifeguards).
- Use the buddy system (never swim alone).
- Learn to swim!
- Learn CPR.
- Locate the lifesaving equipment before entering the pool.
- Have a phone by the pool and know who to contact in an emergency.
- Never enter water that is cloudy.
- Know your role in preventing recreational water illnesses.
- Know the local weather conditions and forecast before swimming.
View a brochure about pool safety from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Learn more about
unintentional drowning and prevention from the CDC.