If you have been looking for a fun, easy, and free way to increase your physical activity, seize the opportunity! Increasing your physical activity by walking, biking, and wheeling throughout your day-to-day activities benefits you and your community. Walking, biking, and other forms of mobility improve your overall health and well-being and are great ways to connect with others and your community. Get moving to get to places and to enjoy all your community has to offer. It’s also a great way to spend time with your family and friends of all ages.
What is WalkWorks?
WalkWorks is an initiative between the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the Pennsylvania Downtown Center that supports the development and adoption of active transportation plans or related policies. Its mission is to increase access and opportunities for physical activities, such as walking, biking, wheeling, and using public transit. WalkWorks:
- Provides funding to develop Active Transportation Plans to guide the establishment of safe, accessible, active routes connecting everyday destinations.
- Encourages and funds the development of local Complete Streets and Vision Zero policies to make walking and biking safer.
- Provides technical assistance for the development of said plans and policies.
- Educates about the relevance and benefits of safe and accessible walking, biking, transit, and all forms of active mobility for people throughout the commonwealth, no matter their zip code, income, or skin color.
- Offers support to communities that encourage walking, biking, transit, wheeling, etc., through events, routes, programs, and groups.
Making walking and biking safer and more convenient can help social interaction between residents, improve local economies and public health, and reduce air pollution. Take action to help prioritize active transportation in your community by talking with your local government officials, identifying stakeholders and strategic community partners, and conducting a walkability assessment.