Choose Healthy. Choose WIC!
Get started by calling 1-800-WIC-WINS.
WIC makes a measurable difference in the lives and improves the health of nutritionally at-risk women, infants and children.
The WIC program has earned the reputation of being one of the most successful Federally-funded public health nutrition programs in the United States. Studies conducted by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service and other non-government entities detail the success and cost-effectiveness of the nutrition intervention provided by WIC. For additional information visit www.pawic.com.
Summary of Health Outcomes
- WIC decreases the incidence of iron deficiency anemia in children.
- WIC reduces fetal deaths and infant mortality.
- WIC reduces low birth weight rates and increases the duration of pregnancy.
- WIC improves the growth of nutritionally at-risk infants and children.
- WIC improves the dietary intake of pregnant and postpartum women and promotes proper weight gain in pregnant women.
- Pregnant women with prior WIC participation receive prenatal care earlier.
- Children enrolled in WIC are more likely to have a regular source of medical care and have more up to date immunizations.
- Children who receive WIC benefits demonstrate improved intellectual development.
- WIC significantly improves children's eating behaviors and parental feeding practices.