swimming and water safety
- Have a responsible adult watch young children playing in or around water (in addition to lifeguards).
- Use the buddy system (never swim alone).
- Learn to swim!
- Learn CPR.
- Locate the lifesaving equipment before entering the pool.
- Have a phone by the pool and know who to contact in an emergency.
- Never enter water that is cloudy.
- Know your role in preventing recreational water illnesses.
- Know the local weather conditions and forecast before swimming.
Click here for an informative brochure about pool safety from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
To learn more about unintentional drowning and prevention, follow the CDC's website for additional resources that can be found here (use the Prevention tab for tips to help you stay safe in the water).