Skip to main content
Skip to page content

Skip Navigation LinksPennsylvania Department of Health > My Health > A-Z Health Topics > M-P > Medical Marijuana > Patients-Caregivers


PA Medical Marijuana 
 Patients & caregivers buttonGrowers & processors buttonDispensaries button
 Physicians button


Patients and Caregivers

If you are a Pennsylvania resident and a patient with a serious medical condition, or a family member that is interested in becoming a caregiver for a patient, please take a few minutes to complete this survey. All of the information collected will be kept confidential.

How to get medical marijuana in pennsylvania

The Pennsylvania Department of Health is in the process of implementing the state’s Medical Marijuana Program. When completed, the program will provide access to medical marijuana for patients with a legally-approved serious medical condition. 

Download a postcard explaining how to get medical marijuana when the program is fully implemented.

Safe Harbor

The Pennsylvania Safe Harbor Letter is available to parents, legal guardians, caregivers and spouses of a minor under the age of 18 who suffers from one of the seventeen serious medical conditions defined in the Medical Marijuana Act.  

​Information Needed to Complete the Safe Harbor Application

Prior to beginning the Safe Harbor Letter application process, please make sure you have all of the required documents and information necessary to submit your application.
All applicants will need:
• Completed electronic copy of the Safe Harbor Physician form; and
• Completed electronic copy of Pennsylvania background check (instructions).
• Legal guardians will need an electronic copy of their guardianship papers.
• Caregivers will need an electronic copy of their caregiver status.
• Spouses will need an electronic copy of their marriage certificate.


Safe Harbor Guidance for Schools and School Districts

The Pennsylvania Departments of Health and Education support the administration of medical marijuana under a Safe Harbor Letter to students with serious medical conditions, and the maintenance of a safe environment for other students while on school property. The below guidance provides information to school administrators to assist them in developing policies for the administration of medical marijuana on school property.
Recommended Guidance: A parent, legal guardian or caregiver may administer medical marijuana to their child/student on school premises provided that the parent, legal guardian or caregiver: (1) provides the school principal with a copy of the Safe Harbor Letter; and (2) notifies the school principal, in advance, of each instance on which the parent or caregiver will administer the medical marijuana to the child/student. The school principal shall provide notification to the school nurse in each instance a parent or caregiver will be administering medical marijuana to the child/student as well. The parent/caregiver shall follow all school protocols applicable to visitors to the school during the school day.
A parent, legal guardian or caregiver shall bring to the school and administer the medical marijuana to their child/student without creating a distraction, and shall promptly remove any excess medical marijuana and related materials from the school premises after the administration of medical marijuana is complete. The school shall provide a secure and private location for the parent/legal guardian/caregiver to administer the medical marijuana to the student. 
Students themselves shall not be permitted to possess any form of medical marijuana at any time on school property or during any school activities on school property.
Expiration: The recommended guidance will remain in effect until the Pennsylvania Department of Education promulgates regulations regarding the possession and use of medical marijuana in the commonwealth’s schools.

Frequently Asked Questions