PURPOSE OF PROGRAM:
The purpose of HIV/AIDS surveillance/case reporting is to conduct
ongoing systematic measurement and evaluation of the occurrence of
HIV/AIDS across Pennsylvania, and monitor the rate of HIV infection and
other associated diseases characteristics over time by risk groups,
population demographics, and geographic subgroups.
DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES:
Our HIV/AIDS Case Reporting/Surveillance services
entail monitoring of HIV Disease Burden through HIV/AIDS &
Perinatal Exposure Case Reporting and HIV Incidence Surveillance:
- Design, coordinate and conduct surveillance activities to assure
all HIV/AIDS and perinatal exposure cases diagnosed or treated in
reported according to the Department of Health
- Design and conduct supplemental HIV surveillance to monitor the likelihood of new HIV infections (incidence surveillance).
- Design and conduct studies to evaluate the effectiveness of surveillance activities, redirecting activities as indicated.
- Coordinate Field Surveillance:
- Collaborate with local Health Departments to establish liaison with
hospitals and clinics, laboratories, physicians, drug registries,
correctional facilities, and other public agencies to enhance the
identification and reporting of HIV cases.
- Conduct epidemiologic investigations of cases reported with an
unidentified mode of transmission, occupationally exposed health care
workers, cases receiving blood transfusions after 1985, and other cases
of epidemiologic importance.
- Provide consultation, professional and technical assistance,
and training to county and municipal health departments and district
health offices on case reporting/surveillance.
- Coordinate Electronic Laboratory Reporting(ELR) of HIV and CD4 T-lymphocyte test results:
- Coordinate and assure reporting of reportable laboratory test
results by all national and state laboratories that perform HIV and CD4
T-lymphocyte tests on specimens from Pennsylvania.
- Perform Data Management and General Data Analyses:
- Maintain a secure, confidential registry of all reported cases of
HIV/AIDS that includes epidemiologic, demographic, and clinical
information for individual cases. Validate each case for accuracy and
completeness and update when new information is received.
- Perform general HIV/AIDS registry data analyses and publish a standard biannual summary for
distribution to general HIV/AIDS data end-users such as health care
providers, health policy planners, educators, and AIDS service
organizations. These data are provided below in the Biannual Summary and Regional Trend Tables
- Additional information on HIV/AIDS case
reporting/surveillance, data management and general HIV/AIDS data can be
accessed below. at: http://www.nedss.state.pa.us/
To view HIV/AIDS Surveillance Annual Summaries, click here.